Master Builder

Spring 2018

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 17 of 63

STRUCTURAL WARRANTIES THE ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO QUALITY STRUCTURAL WARRANTY QUALITY OBLIGATION OBLIGATION WHAT IS A STRUCTURAL WARRANTY? A structural warranty provides a written agreement between the home builder and the home owner and clearly defines the builder's work- product obligations related to construction quality and continuing obligations. 2 WHY AN INSURANCE-BACKED STRUCTURAL WARRANTY? A structural warranty, from an established warranty provider, gives builders and home owners confidence that if qualified major structural damages develop in a home, those repairs will be the obligation of the warranty insurer rather than the responsibility of the builder and home owners. 3 WHAT DAMAGES DOES A STRUCTURAL WARRANTY COVER? A structural warranty covers specific types of structural defects: actual physical damage to load-bearing elements of a home that result in failure of its load-bearing function. FAILURE 4 $ 0.005% OF THE TOTAL PURCHASE PRICE, PLUS LAND LESS THAN $ 42,500 $ 113,000 HOW MUCH DOES A STRUCTURAL WARRANTY COST? The average cost of a 10year warranty is less than a half percent of the total purchase price of the home including the land. AVG REPAIR IN LOW RISK STATES IN HIGH RISK STATES 5 80% WHAT CAUSES STRUCTURAL DAMAGE IN A HOME? Soil movement surrounding a home's foundation causes more than 80% of structural defects, and framing-related issues cause the remaining 20%. 20% 1 6 WHY DO BUILDERS NEED STRUCTURAL WARRANTIES? 1. Make Handling Complaints Simpler 2. Save Time 3. Provides Confidence to Home Buyers 4. A Helpful Sales and Marketing Tool 5. It Makes Good Business Sense 6. Avoid Costly Litigation $$$ 7 FEATURES AND BENEFITS FOR HOMEOWNERS 1. Worry-free 2. Protection When It's Needed 3. Surrounding Components Are Covered 4. Warranty Administration 5. Avoid Costly Litigation SOLD STRUCTURAL WARRANTY QUALITY OBLIGATION 8 COSMETIC DAMAGES, DROUGHT AND LINTELS INCLUDED 2-10 HBW offers the most comprehensive coverage of any warranty company. HOW 2-10 HBW STANDS OUT FROM THE COMPETITION MOVEMENT 9 APPLICATION PROCESS By visiting or calling 800.488.8844 or email HOW CAN BUILDERS PROVIDE A 2-10 HBW INSURANCE-BACKED STRUCTURAL WARRANTY 10 WHY SHOULD A HOME BUYER PURCHASE FROM A 2-10 HBW BUILDER? The biggest advantage to buying a home from a 2-10 HBW builder member is in the quality of their craftsmanship and their ability to provide the best new home structural warranty. A home buyer can know that the construction standards are defined and there is a warranty insurer to stand behind the builder's promise. MOST COMPREHENSIVE NOT EVERY BUILDER QUALIFIES COVER MORE DAMAGE 18 master builder SPRING 2018

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

view archives of Master Builder - Spring 2018